Port-de-Paix

Port-de-Paix

Post in: Haiti / - by - Feb 20, 2017
Formerly a large exporter of bananas and coffee. Before this area was called "Xarama" during the Amerindian "Taïno" belongs to "Bainoa" the fourth of the five caciquats shared the island of Haiti where its capital was "Mariena" called by the French "Le Marien" today Plaine-du-Nord. The area around the town was given the name "Valparaíso" by Christopher Columbus after landing here in the late evening of December 6, 1492, and still contains many attractive beaches and caves locations. A ferry operates between the town and Tortuga island (La Tortue), called "Gusaeni Cahini" by the Taïnos and is situated just across the water.
The town was founded in 1665 by French filibusters, driven from Tortuga Island by the British occupiers. In 1676 the capital of the French Colony of Saint-Domingue was moved from Tortuga to Port-de-Paix, and it remained the seat of government until 1711 when the capital was moved to Cap-Français. In 1676, Padrejean escaped from slavery in the Port. In 1679 the town saw the first black slave revolt. The area saw great success during the 19th century but in 1802 the town was almost entirely destroyed by fire, and never attained its former status.
Port-de-Paix is also the chief town of an arrondissement of the same name. The arrondissement consists of five communes: Port-de-Paix, La Pointe des Palmistes, Bassin-Bleu, Chansolme and Tortuga
Port-de-Paix (Créole haïtien: Pòdepè ou Podpe) est une commune et la capitale du département du Nord-Ouest en Haïti sur la côte atlantique. Il a une population de 462.000 (2015 recensement IHSI).
Autrefois un grand exportateur de bananes et de café.
Avant ce domaine a été appelé "Xarama" lors de l'Amérindien "Taïno" appartient à "Bainoa" le quatrième des cinq caciquats partage l'île d'Haïti, où la capitale était "Mariena" appelé par les Français "Le Marien" aujourd'hui Plaine-du- Nord. La zone autour de la ville a été donné le nom de "Valparaíso" par Christophe Colomb après avoir atterri ici tard dans la soirée du 6 Décembre 1492, et contient encore de nombreuses plages attrayantes et grottes endroits. Un ferry opère entre la ville et l'île de Tortuga (La Tortue), appelé "Gusaeni Cahini" par les Taïnos et est situé juste en face de l'eau.
La ville a été fondée en 1665 par des flibustiers français, chassés de l'île Tortuga par les occupants britanniques. En 1676, la capitale de la colonie française de Saint-Domingue a été déplacé de Tortuga à Port-de-Paix, et il est resté le siège du gouvernement jusqu'à 1711 lorsque la capitale fut transférée à Cap-Français. En 1676, Padrejean échappé de l'esclavage dans le port. En 1679, la ville a vu la première révolte des esclaves noirs. La région a connu un grand succès au cours du 19ème siècle, mais en 1802 la ville a été presque entièrement détruite par le feu, et n'a jamais atteint son ancien statut.
Port-de-Paix est aussi le chef-lieu d'un arrondissement du même nom. L'arrondissement se compose de cinq communes: Port-de-Paix, La Pointe des Palmistes, Bassin-Bleu, Chansolme et Tortuga
check out for more info, news, making friends, and more
Team Konekte (✔️)

User not write anything about he.
Share this blog: